Earlier this year, I worked with Year Five at Whitchurch Primary school in Herefordshire. We used my, now out of print, Dark Claw series as the basis for some new writing. To say it was an interesting project wouldn’t begin to describe it!
However I learned a load of things and I hope the children did too. One of my ideas was to use lulu.com to publish their work. I would then be able to show others how to do the same. It’s been such a busy year, I’ve found it hard to find the time to sit down and really concentrate on putting the artwork together to make the book. I’ve managed it over a few hard editing and design/layout sessions. It’s actually quite a lot of hard work! knowing how hard it was just to get the material together, I’m thinking it’s probably too much to ask others to have a go – I’ve realised just how much knowledge of digital printing I’ve picked up over the years. (I started out in printing in the old, inky days, so It’s in my blood, I guess.)
Well this morning, I could have started on the artwork for the next Axel Storm book, but I’ve got quite a big day tomorrow, so I felt I’d like to spend today clearing up loose ends.
And… hooray! I’ve uploaded all the artwork to lulu.com, checked it, double-checked it and I’ve ordered three copies to see what It’s like. I know already that the overall design is not brilliant, but I’ve learned from that. If It all works well and smoothly, I might be encouraged to have a go at putting the Ginger Ninja back into print.
So… fingers crossed. I’ll look out for the postman and share the joy with you here when it arrives!
Filed in: eBooks and the Internet