Mandy wrote to me and asked: Please!!
Dear Mr Rayner, You are busy so I will be brief.
I am a mature student at Birmingham City University Yr 2. We have been asked to construct an artist profile.
I love your work and it relates to the project I am currently working on. I am currently working towards becoming a Children’s illustrator.
If you don’t have time I understand but I would be so grateful if you could answer some questions (or a couple of them).
1. What is your education background, were you self-taught as an artist or did you attend Uni?
2. If you attended uni did you find the transition from uni to having a working practice difficult?
3. Do you have an Agent? (why/why not)
4. Where do you work from ie, an agency, own studio/home and why?
5. What would you cite as the most important ways to promote yourself and your work?
6. Do you feel it is important to have a ‘style’? When did you find yours? Was it gradual or was that style apparent in your earlier work?
Thank you so much for your time. Any questions you could answer would be very much appreciated as I am a great fan of your work and it would give me a much better understanding of working practice. If you can send any reply I would be grateful. Thank you so much and I apologise for intruding on your time. Kind regards, Mandy
Watch the video and you will get all the answers!